Information for Tenants

Arranging a Viewing

As a first step, please use our site to search for a suitable property and short list those of interest to you. If you have any queries about an individual property please contact the office handling the property in question.

Taking up References

Once you have viewed a property and made a decision that you would like to proceed, we will provide you with reference forms. To complete your application we require information including names and addresses of:-

  • Your Bank or Building Society
  • Your employer (or if self-employed, a professional reference eg solicitor or accountant)
  • Your present Landlord or character reference
  • Please note it may be advisable to contact these people in advance.

If your income is lower than needed or you have minor adverse credit you may be required to pay the full rent in advance or to have a suitable guarantor.

Some Landlords will accept tenants who receive housing benefit, however we will require a suitable guarantor.

Administration Fee

As we use an external referencing company we ask you to pay an administration fee when forms are submitted.

Next Steps and how much do I need to pay?

Once the referencing process has completed, our referencing agency  will send a report to Frank Marshall & Co Lettings. This report will be passed to the Landlord for approval and we will then agree a start date for the tenancy and will draw up the tenancy agreement.

In most cases we will send you a confirmation document and ask you to pay:-

  • One months rent in advance and one months rent + 100.00 as a deposit which is held for any damages.
  • For example if your monthly rental is 400 you will also need to pay a deposit of 500. A total payment of 900 in advance.

In some cases special arrangements will be made.

Provided there is sufficient time (usually 7 working days) we can accept payment by cheque, otherwise cash or a Bankers Draft will be accepted.

We will then confirm arrangements for you to sign the Tenancy Agreement, collect the keys and take possession of the property. We undertake to notify all the utilities at the start and end of the tenancy (gas, electricity, water and council).